Monday, March 3, 2008

Goodbye

As my close friends know I hate saying goodbye to friends. However, there are times when you just have to say goodbye. There are those times when you know you will see that friend for the last time. It's painful, but you know you will get through it with some time. I am at one of those crossroads now. Rex is leaving. Yes Rex. Some of you might not know him, or perhaps some of you just never took the time to ask his name. I'm sure that you have all seen him, and now he is leaving. And to be quite honest, no one will miss him more than me. However, it'll be good to see him leave. It's his time, and I am at peace with him leaving. So here's to you Rex.... my little RX.The good part is that I am able to replace him and not feel guilty. So, with the money that I will make off of the Mazda I have the opportunity to buy something else with lower payments and better gas mileage! Each car has a clean carfax, is listed by a dealer, has cruise control, is a 4 cylinder engine (unless indicated), and is listed for under $4900 (except one). So here are the prospects thus far:


2001 Ford Escape 2WD, Unlisted Mileage, 5 speed

2001 Mazda Tribute 2WD, Unlisted Mileage, Automatic

2000 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD, 163k miles, Automatic, V6

2003 Chevy Cavalier, 79k miles, 5 Speed

2000 Mazda 626 LX, 83k miles, Automatic

1999 Nissan Altima, 56k miles, Automatic
2000 VW Jetta GL, 120k miles, Automatic

2001 VW Jetta GLS, 119k, Automatic
If you have a warning or a favorite let me know.

4 comments:

JackNathan said...

Go for the Nissan Altima. With only 56k miles (unless that is a typo as I at first thought) You can easily get another 100-150k on that vehicle. Each of the other vehicles has more questionable reliability. VW's are good cars, but I hear that they have questionable reliability. The SUV's have lower MPG (even assuming the Ford and Mazda -which are identical mechanically- are both 4-bangers) and you would probably feel that hurt most immediately. The Xterra should be avoided due to the mileage. The Cavalier wasn't worth 5,000 bucks new in my opinion. I would narrow it down between the 626 and the Altima. Based on the info given, I would go with the Altima based solely on the reliability and the mileage. But its not a very exciting vehicle, which based on you past purchase, is an important issue for you.
Just two cents worth from a driver of a Subaru Wagon.

Don't Call Me Jon said...

Definitely stay away from the Cavalier, Hank. There are myriad problems with them. Transmissions, engines, paint, etc... Don't do it, man.

Unknown said...

I like the Escape...but then again i don't like fords...idk...i was just wanting to tell you that i re-opened the blog

http://lance-ingle.blogspot.com

so update your links...peace

I like the Xterra color and body but the gas will be bad... and the miles are bad too

pray.trust.live said...

XTERRA!!! I love those!!