Thursday, March 6, 2008

Are you sure?

I remember my first real experience with Dr. Gibbs. I was sitting in the front row to left side of the room at Spartanburg Methodist. I was in a chair that hardly had an armrest and creaked every time I moved. Obviously these desks had been there since the college was established in 1911. I have to say, they complemented the radiators very well. At any rate, the conversation began:

Gibbs: "Is the Bible inerrant?"

No one answered. I mean it was an awfully deep first question for a morning 9:25 class. For the first time in my college career I raised my home schooled hand in a classroom that contained more than just me.

"Yes," I replied, "I believe it is."

Gibbs: "Do you mind if I press you on that?"

I had no idea what he meant. "Sure," I replied.

For the rest of the class I remember arguing over this issue until Gibbs eventually asked me:


"Are you sure that is what you believe?"


I paused. I realized that I had no answer. I was stumbling over my words. I had never thought of why I believed the things that I believed. Here I was an all-knowing freshmen, and Gibbs is working on defending his doctoral dissertation on Clement of Rome at the University of Wales! I have to admit my first impression of Dr. Gibbs was that he was the kind of professor drank diesel fuel as he ate freshmen like me for breakfast. Luckily, Dr. Gibbs was playing devil's advocate and helped me immensely to go deeper in my journey of faith. Thanks Dr. Gibbs.

I was reminded of this time in my life as I read the opening of the Gospel of Luke.

Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us,
just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning,

(this is the part that hit me)

I too decided to write an orderly account for, most excellent Theophilus,
so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.
Luke 1:3-4


Theophilus (which means "friend of God"), has a special place in Luke's heart. Luke wanted to make sure that among all of the other people writing about the things that took place while Christ was present on Earth that he put out "an orderly account for, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught."

Each Theophilus needs a Luke to help him or her to go deeper in the faith. I pray that each of us will take the time to thank the Lukes that are in our lives, so that we may grow as a close friend of God.

I know that I'm blessed to have so many people like Luke in my life. So many people have helped me, and more importantly people are continuing to help me. I'm also blessed to have so many people in my life that are like Theophilus, friends of God. I'm changing my listing on the right to read "friends of God" instead of just "friends". Make sure that check out the links.

On a side note, I talked to Whit today and I have to admit I'm pretty jealous. She's traveling overseas and has seen some pretty awesome stuff like Corinth, the Pyramids in Egypt, the Parthenon and Pella. Of course I had to ask her what her favorite part about Greece was and here was her answer:

Being where Paul was. I have to say though, as many monuments and statues as there are to see here... parthenon, mars hill, temples... nothing to me beats the views I see. God's work to me is more interesting than man's.

Good answer Whit! G'nite everyone.

No comments: